What to do if you’ve had an accident

We understand that you will have to cope with the upset from being involved in a road traffic accident and if you have been injured, you will have to cope with the pain from your injuries as well. You will be worried about getting your vehicle repaired, taking time off work and the impact that the accident will have on your day to day life.  It is likely you won’t know what to do first.

However there are a few important things you should do straight away.

What to do

Get independent legal advice

Even if you think your claim is straightforward, you should get specialist legal advice. This is to ensure that your claim is dealt with efficiently and with expertise and that you receive what you are entitled to.  This is especially important if you have an injury.

Tell your insurance company

Your policy will state that you have to advise your insurer of any accidents you are involved in as soon as possible – even if you are not intending to claim. They may tell you that you must use one of their solicitors or not use one at all, but we strongly advise that you always seek independent legal advice.

Keep records and receipts

Keep a note of any expenses you have as a result of the accident and get receipts wherever possible. For example, prescriptions, taxis for appointments or phone calls that are connected to your claim.

If you have an injury, it can be helpful to keep a diary of how this has affected your daily life. For example, not able to sleep, play sport, look after your children or time off work. This is especially important if you are self-employed.

These lists are not exhaustive, so make sure that you get legal advice to understand everything that you may be entitled to claim for.

Seek medical advice if  you are injured

For obvious health reasons you should make sure you get medical treatment for any injuries but also keep a note of who you see and make sure they make a note of your accident and injuries as your solicitor may need to contact them for medical records to support your claim.

Contact a MASS solicitor for free initial advice

If you would like to speak to one of our member solicitors, you can find one using our ‘find a MASS solicitor’ search (red box to the right) using your postcode.

Whilst we cannot give you legal advice from the head office, we will be happy to give you details of a member solicitor who can help you. Call us on 0117 925 9604 or email us on enquiries@mass.org.uk (if you are emailing please let us know your postcode and contact telephone number).


Our Mission Statement

MASS promotes the highest standards of legal services through education and representation in the pursuit of justice for victims of road traffic accidents.